Melinda A. Sammis
Melinda Sammis specializes in divorce litigation, mediation consultation, and the drafting of complex pre and postmarital agreements. Melinda is a California State Bar Certified Family Law Specialist.
Melinda is currently serving as the Chapter Director of the Association of Certified Family Law Specialists (ACFLS). She also serves on two committees of the California Lawyers Association (CLA).
As an Advisor to the State Bar's Executive Committee on Family Law (FLEXCOM), Melinda is responsible for commenting on pending family law legislation in the State of California, including appearing in Sacramento to consult on changes to pending legislation. Melinda was a Member of FLEXCOM from 2013-2016 and served as Chair of the Education Committee.
Melinda regularly acts as a Settlement Master and Attorney for the Day for the San Francisco Superior Court. Melinda has also guest lectured at Hastings College of the Law.
Prior to joining the firm, Melinda earned recognition for acting and public speaking. She is a member of both the Screen Actors Guild and the American Federation of Television and Radio. She has lived in Spain and speaks conversational Spanish.
Areas of Practice
- Family Law
Certified Legal Specialties
- Family Law, California Board of Legal Specialization
- California, 1999
- University of California, Hastings College of the Law, San Francisco, California
- J.D. - 1999
- Smith College, Northampton, Massachusetts
- B.A. - 1996
- Honors: With Honors
- Major: English Literature
- Major: Spanish
- Expert Witness Testimony: What’s all the Hype over People vs. Sanchez? The State Bar of California Family Law News, Issue 2, Vol. 39, No. 2, 2017
- David A. Fink, Attorney and Mediator, San Francisco, CA
- Guest Lecturer, Hastings College of the Law
- Presenter, Comprehensive Family Law Practice Seminar, Sonoma County, July 2016
Honors and Awards
- California Governor's Award, Excellence in Drama and Public Speaking
- National Emmy for Best Public Service Announcement for Television
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- Association of Certified Family Law Specialists
- Association of Family and Conciliation Courts
- Bar Association of San Francisco, Family Law section
- State Bar of California, Family Law section
- State Bar of California, Executive Committee on Family Law (FLEXCOM)
- American Federation of Television and Radio Artists (AFTRA)
- Screen Actors Guild (SAG)
Past Employment Positions
- Judicial extern, The Hon. Thomas Mellon, Jr. , San Francisco Superior Court
- Judicial extern, The Hon. Charlotte Woolard, San Francisco Superior Court